“This position is responsible for the opening and closing of the movable draw spans of the Hawthorne, Morrison, Broadway and Burnside Bridges.”
Visit the Multnomah County Job Opportunities website.
“Job Code: 6059-11
Job Title: Bridge Operator
Closing Date/Time: Mon. 11/04/13 11:59 PM Pacific Time
Multnomah County’s Department of Community Services is accepting applications for a full-time Bridge Operator.
The first 50 applications will be screened. This recruitment will be closed once the 50 applications are received. You are encouraged to apply without delay.
This position is responsible for the opening and closing of the movable draw spans of the Hawthorne, Morrison, Broadway and Burnside Bridges. Duties will include, but are not limited to:
- operating bridge controls in a safe and timely manner
- maintaining a constant watch for visual or sound signals from boats requiring bridge opening
- operating a two-way radio for communication with river traffic,
- observing and reporting unusual activity on or around bridges
- performing minor maintenance of machinery related to the draw span and their traffic gates (clean, inspect, and maintain bridge mechanisms and facilities”
And maybe someone will FINALLY create an app so we can know when the bridges are going to open!
(No, you probably don’t have a chance, and in fact, if you weren’t alerted to this opening before now and don’t have your application ready to go, you really, really don’t have a chance. But one can dream, can’t one?)