A recent story in the Oregonian, March 29th, 2007, headline, “Raising Grandkids,” by Abby Haight ((available through the public library’s Oregonian database and on the Oregonlive web page for 14 days after publication), has moved me to post some of the resources we point grandparents to when they come to the law library with their own grandkid-raising questions. (We probably get these questions every few weeks.)
Here are some Portland metro area and beyond sources of information:
1) Report: “Oregon’s Legal Guide for Grandparents and other Relatives Raising Children,” 2005.
2) County Government office: Your county’s Aging and Disabilities Services office
3) Organization: Grandparents Raising Grandchildren Inc: 503-309-2146 (this is a Portland phone number)
4) Organization: AARP Grandparents
5) Organization: Elders in Action
6) Legal information: Oregon State Bar ( 503-684-3763) and Legal Aid Services of Oregon (503-648-7163)
7) Information on the Internet: Run a search in Dogpile or search engine of choice) using the words: grandparents raising grandchildren (or other words relevant to your situation).