Published on:

Oregon Laws for Motor scooters, pocket bikes, mini-choppers or mini-motorcycles


Tis the season, apparently, to climb onto an open-air motorized vehicle:

There are state laws:
1) ODOT, DMV, Pocket Bike Guide (PDF)
2) ODOT, DMV Vehicle Index
3) ODOT, DMV Vehicle Violations
4) ODOT, DMV Vehicle Factsheet for Mini-motorbikes and Scooters
5) Oregon Revised Statutes (ORS)

And there are local laws: Contact your city or county law enforcement agency (e.g. police or sheriff) to ask if they have any brochures, training, and websites that have information for riders of these vehicles.

And, there is legal advice:

1) If you are between 11 and 17 years old, you can also always contact the Problem Solvers (FREE) service at the Oregon State Bar. An attorney can help you answer your question:

Oregon lawyers volunteer as Problem Solvers to offer free legal information and advice to children. Any young person between the ages of 11 and 17 can call to request a referral to this program. Referrals include a thirty minute office visit with a volunteer lawyer. This service is not available in all areas. For more information, contact the LRS at 503-684-3763 or toll-free in Oregon: 800-452-7636.” You can use their online form too.

2) Adults 18 years and over in need of a lawyer’s advice, e.g. if you will be accompanying children on a motorized vehicle adventure and want to know about safety and liability, contact the Oregon State Bar Information and Referral Service

Contact Information