What are Orphan Works and why does anyone care about them? (No, this is not a post about Charles Dickens and the working orphans who populate his novels. I’m an Our Mutual Friend fan myself – see here about these digressions. Sorry.)
1) “Orphan works” described here and here.
2) Why does anyone care? The usual: Life, art, money, legislation, and Justice, Truth and the American Way.
3) A sampling of websites on the subject, though there are, as you would expect, zillions of others:
4) Legislation: Here (H.R. 5889) and here.
5) LibraryLaw post: Why we need help with Orphan Works (First Lady copyright problems and more).