Published on:

Oregon Attorneys Gone Wild: Free Legal Information and Advice


Oregon, and especially the Portland-metro area, is awash in lawyers talking about the law to all and sundry – for no charge. (You don’t even have to buy them lunch – how much better than that can it get?)

There are pedestrian and bicycle legal clinics, bankruptcy clinics, small business legal clinics, homebuyer clinics, patent law programs (e.g. at CubeSpace), expungment clinics, and many more.

You just need to know where to look for the announcements. Despite what you think, many lawyers are just not that good at marketing. Until some of us figure out a way to maintain a website or blog where these programs can be posted, here are some tips on how to find them. Like most things that are worthwhile, it will take some effort, but it may surely pay off in the end:

1) Find the legal association or organization that specializes in the area of law you are interested in and contact the organization or one of its members. No one knows this better than Oregon bicyclists!

2) Contact the Oregon State Bar (OSB): they may be the logical group to keep a running list of these free events, but in the meantime, they may still be able to give you some contacts.

3) Contact a Legal Aid (LASO) office. They too will know about various free legal programs.

4) Local police and sheriff’s departments frequently host landlord-tenant clinics and mediation programs.

5) If you have a neighborhood association, call the reigning Chair and ask about inviting a lawyer speaker to your meetings. If you coordinate this, you get to choose the topic – and talk to the lawyer personally yourself.

6) If you belong to any association, talk to fellow members to find out what they want to have a lawyer talk about and have someone contact the Oregon State bar (OSB) to ask for some names of local lawyers. A visit from a lawyer who know about foreclosures, investing safely, neighbor law, dog law, small business legal matters, and other subjects would attract more people to your meetings!

7) Ask your state legislator to set up a meeting in your community to talk about a particular bill that has been introduced during the current legislative session.

But remember, if you’re going to sponsor a free legal talk (rather than just attend one), don’t rely on that lawyer to advertise it. Use your own creativity to get the word out, be it through your association’s newsletter or Twitter and everything in between.

Published on:

8 responses to “Oregon Attorneys Gone Wild: Free Legal Information and Advice”

  1. Anonymous says:

    can a mother legaly take her son out of the home away from his father in oregon

  2. Anonymous says:

    And run off to another state making it almost impossible for the father to file for custody in the State of Oregon.

  3. Sarah says:

    I have been treated unfair. I was in domestic voilence. I have been self-defence and I was the one ended going to jail. Also, my electronic ellege stolen. Also, I have the drug dealer who use to live next door, who is harrasing me and itinmate my life and he looks me evil that he's going to beat me up. Also, he said boo in front of me and followed me around. I was in jail for three days and no interpeter. I had injury and no picture taken meanwhile I was in jail. I feel that police aren't taken it seriously or listening to me. I feel helpless which lead me sucidal thoughts.

  4. Anonymous says:

    if no judgement for child support existed prior to the child turning 18 can they still file for support while they are attending college. child is 19 now

  5. Anonymous says:

    Can a person on unemployment in Oregon use money from 401k without being penalized by unemployement? How much can u take, how will ui in Oregon find out?

  6. Anonymous says:

    Can a mother file to terminate the fathers rights as a parent due to him being in jail for attempted murder and not to mention all the things he did to us while he was out here such as hitting me once and neglecting his son.

  7. Anonymous says:

    We rented equipment for a job 3 years ago and was paid. They are now claiming we should not have been paid the job wasnt done. Our job was renting them the equipment which we did. If job was not done thats not our fault. Can they now sue us for claiming fraudulant billing?

  8. Anonymous says:

    I am dealing with a “custodial issue” involving the DHS in a small Oregon coastal community. Having spent the majority of my life in the Seattle/Portland areas I would not believe something like what I'm experiencing could happen in this country if it were not happening to me. My resources are limited, would a Portland/multn cnty area lawyer be able to represent me in a clatsop county matter?

Contact Information