Published on:

Oregon Small Claims Court and Local Court Rules


I haven’t blogged about Oregon Small Claims Court in a little while, and while not much has changed overall, here are a couple of updates:

1) It is very important to keep up with your Small Claims Court rules and procedures. Always read:

a) the Small Claims packet of information the Court gives you or that is on their website,

b) the Oregon Revised Statutes (ORS) chapters on Small Claims actions (use the Index to locate the relevant sections)


c) your County Circuit Court’s Supplemental Local Rules (SLRs), to find out if they address small claims court matters. County Circuit Court Supplemental Local Rules (SLRs) may be found at the court’s website, e.g. Multnomah County, or from the Oregon Judicial Department (OJD) website. (County Justice Courts may not have local rules, but check with the court to find out.)

2) Second, a curse upon the person who stole our Nolo Press book on Small Claims Court!

Published on:

3 responses to “Oregon Small Claims Court and Local Court Rules”

  1. Anonymous says:

    I bought a dog that the owner verbally guaranteed to perform certain hunting duties, his words to me was “if for any reason you are not happy with her I will buy her back, this was said to me & in front of my friend, I am not happy with the dog, she does not do for me what he says she can do,he is not backing his word, i have filed a small claims against him, will his verbal agreement hold up in court?

  2. Anonymous says:

    I gave a notice to a tenant renting my house. I gave him a 60-day + 3 day mailing allowance on Dec 9. His rent is due this month (Jan 2012) and as is his usual, he is now putting me off with lots of excuses. after the 5th day of the month rent is due, can I file a small claims complaint & retain a garnishment to serve at his place of work?

  3. Anonymous says:

    The Board of Directors of a Home Owners Assocation has the right to file a lien, on behalf of the HOA, for unpaid assessments. The money could then be collected upon the sale of the property. Can a representative of the board also make a small claims file (the amount owed is less than $1,000)? If awarded by the judge, we could then get our money through a judgment that garnished the owners wages or bank acount and not have to wait until sale of the liened property.

Contact Information