Published on:

Small Claims Court in Oregon: What Do You Want to Know?


Do you have any questions about filing a case in Small Claims Court in Oregon?

I’m helping (in a networking, researching, law librarian sort of way) an Oregon attorney write a book about Small Claims Court in Oregon, i.e. how to file, how to prepare, how to serve, etc.

One of my most important jobs is to give the lawyer/author the Public Librarian perspective.

For example, what are the questions asked by our library patrons who want to file in Small Claims Court?

Some of these are frequently asked questions, such as, how do I serve the defendant? (and frequently answered on many, but not all, Oregon circuit court Small Claims webpages), but other questions are more unusual, e.g.:

* How can I sue the estate of someone who is deceased?

* Can I ask for punitive damages?

* Can a Small Claims Court judgment be vacated?

* Why can’t I appeal a Small Claims Court case?

In the meantime, and until there is a book, and even after, if you have questions about Small Claims Court (and I’ve blogged about it here , start with these resources:

1) Your county’s Justice Court (if it has one, e.g. Washington and Lane counties do)

2) The webpage for your county’s Circuit Court Small Claims Court (directory here, at OJD)

3) Oregon State Bar (OSB) public pages on Small Claims Court (both print and a very useful web video, Legal Links!)

4) The Oregon Revised Statutes (ORS): Use the index!

5) Your county law library (visit the OCCLL web directory)

6) Your public library, which might have the Nolo Press and HALT books on Small Claims Courts. These are NOT Oregon-specific, but are very helpful nonetheless.

Published on:

7 responses to “Small Claims Court in Oregon: What Do You Want to Know?”

  1. Anonymous says:

    can i sue wash co. housing in small claims court?

  2. Anonymous says:

    has anyone sued washington county housing for negligence or recovery of monies d/t property damages caused by section 8 tenants?

  3. Anonymous says:

    Can I take my my ex-husband to small claims court for failing to pay for timeshare maintenance fees? He was awarded the timeshare in our divorce over 2 years ago. I am unable to take my name off of it due to a lien for unpaid fees. He filed bankruptcy early this year, which leaves my name as the responsible one.

  4. Anonymous says:

    Can I file a defamation suit in Columbia County Small Claims Court?

  5. Anonymous says:

    Can I sue a doctor for money back on a procedure that didn't work like he claimed it would? I did sign a waiver that states “NO REFUND” for services provided. However, I was told that the procedure was excellent and would take care of facial wrinkles. No inmprovement at all and it was very very expensive!

  6. Anonymous says:

    If I take someone to small claims court for a loan they stopped paying ($7,500 to date) can I take them to small claims for the rest of the loan when it is over due too? The total is $20,000, but the agreement is a set amount a year. Can I take them to small claims for just the amount overdue each time or is it a one time deal on each separate debt?

  7. Anonymous says:

    Can I sue a former roommate that signed an agreement to which to pay the cost of breaking a rental lease. All three of us signed it, but we did not put in writting how much each pay. I paid all of it. One agreed to pay her share but the other did not and will not pay me back. Yes we all 3 signed on the original rental lease.

Contact Information