Published on:

Wage Garnishment in Oregon: Research, Research, Research


There are no official Oregon garnishment forms for non-government employees garnishing someone else’s wages (or defending against garnishment of one’s own wages).  But there is still a lot of useful information online and you can look at the sample forms the state uses.

These may be helpful in theory, but if you are acting on your own behalf, not representing a state or local government agency, you must look at the laws on wage garnishment in the Oregon Revised Statutes (ORS) and the Oregon Administrative Rules (OAR) before using any unofficial sample forms to draft your own documents.
Keep in mind that garnishment is only one tool to use when collecting on judgments and since each person’s situation is different and since the laws protect both creditors and debtors, you must do your research before filing any forms.
The following list includes print and online legal research resources:
1) The Oregon Revised Statutes (ORS) will tell you the information that must be included in specified garnishment forms.
2) There is more information about garnishments from the Legal Aid of Oregon (LASO) website (click on the Consumer resources link).
3) The Oregon Department of Justice has “model forms for garnishments under revised Oregon garnishment statutes and pursuant to OAR 137-060-0100 to OAR 137-060-0450.  The forms are provided as a courtesy by the Oregon Department of Justice and intended for use by state and county officials.”
5) Debt Collection research guide at the Lane County Law Library.
6) You can visit an Oregon county law library to continue your research in print and online subscription resources.
7) Last, but definitely not least, we recommend you check with an attorney. The Oregon State Bar Information and Referral Service has a toll free number to call to get names of attorneys in your area; call their referral service at   503-684-3763 or 1-800-452-7636 (

Disclaimer: It is against state law for library staff members to engage in any conduct that might constitute the unauthorized practice of law (ORS 9.160, 9.166 and 9.21).  They may not interpret statutes, cases or regulations, perform legal research, recommend or assist in the preparation of forms, or advise patrons regarding their legal rights.  They may, however, assist patrons in locating materials or links that would aid in individual research.

Contact Information